Sunday 15 March 2009

RPM

Knitting RPM- socks was an interesting experience. For starters, this pattern is very simple. Just knit & purl round after round (after round after round - 'til the eternity...) And I kept making mistakes. I could not knit these in front of telly, not to mention doing anything else at the same time. Constant vigilence was required. (Maybe it is just me - but I seem to have most trouble knitting these "simple" patterns - had similar problems with my Marigold-socks.... I kept going: knit 1,2,3,4,5,6, purl 1,2,3 , knit 1,2,3,4,5,6,7, - shite- rip of 1, p1,2,3,4,5,- Damn! - I just could not get into normal flow...)

RPM sukat ovat valmiit, pitkällisen neulonnan jälkeen. Jotenkin nämä ns. helpot ohjeet ottavat aina koville. En vain tunnu saavan neulonnan virrasta kiinni ja joudun laskemaan jokaikisen silmukan, jolloin homma alkaa tuntua hyvin nopeasti työltä. Puhumattakaan, että pystyisi tekemään jotain muuta samalla. Pakko keskittyä silmukoiden jatkuvaan laskemiseen...
Pattern: RPM by Aija Goto
Yarn: Wildfoote Luxury Sock yarn in Ragtime aprox. 60g (from my Secret Pal Kate)
Needles: Knitpicks Harmony 2.25mm dpns
I made my RPM socks with a short row heel & grafted toe. Also knitted in spiral pattern to the sole. And reversed the pattern for the second sock, so that they are mirror-images of each other. I think that was a good decision as I like the symmetry in socks:-) As for the yarn, this is a great pattern for hand painted yarn, as it only brings a bit of surface structure but does not diminish the beauty of the yarn. Also helps to prevent colours from pooling (or blurs the pooling effect). Nice. I loved this colour, so vibrant and the only thing that helped me keeping knitting these as I knew I would love the end-result.

Neuloin RPM-sukkiini tiimalasikantapään ja silmukoidun kärjen. Lisäksi jatkoin spiraalikuviota koko jalkaterään (myös pohjaan), jolloin spiraaliefekti tulee mielestäni paremmin esiin. Toiseen sukkaan käänsin mallikuvion peilikuvaksi, jotta sukat olisivat toisiinsa nähden symmetriset. Lanka sopi tähän malliin loistavasti, sillä mallikuvion ei tarvitse juurikaan näkyä siten kuten esim. jonkun pitsikuvion, mutta se tuo pintaan pientä struktuuria ja huijaa silmää tarpeeksi, jotta pieni värin kasautuminen paikoittain ei haittaa.
And they look great with my spring shoes... (waiting for all that snow to melt first)
Näyttävät muuten oikein hyviltä kevätkenkien kanssa .. (kun tuo lumi nyt sulaisi ensin)

No comments: