Monday 12 October 2015

Cables - Palmikkoja

It was cold last summer. Very cold. So much so that in July I knitted myself a woollen hat with cables and all. I remember that I was being told not to be such a pessimist and that it was not really that cold but I disagreed. And rightly so as during our sailing trip in July I actually needed this hat very much. (see photo)
(for anyone not living in Finland, this is not normal, and yes - we got warmth in  August and September, so it was alright in the end)

I used Rowan felted tweed aran in a lovely shade of petrol blue (if I recall correctly it's called "watery" .. a very well suited name for this shade, I think. )
I found two balls of yarn from a discount basket and they were only 2 euros/ball, which is a bargain. Rowan felted tweed yarns are absolute joy to knit with. Such a great fibre combination and beautiful tweedy colours.

Now, that it is below zero degrees again every morning,  I'm reaching for this hat yet again.

Viime kesänä oli melkoisen viileää aina elokuulle asti. Joskus Juhannuksen tienoilla päätin että oli sää mikä tahansa,  niin käytän kesämekkoa koko kesän. Otti niin luonnon päälle kun oli vain kylmää ja kalsaa ja taas kaikkea muuta kuin lämmintä. Eli kuljin kesämekossa ja säärystimissä ja villapaidoissa koko kesäkuun. Sama meno jatkui heinäkuussa ja siinä viileyden sydämmessä neuloin itselleni tämän palmikkopipon. Olin löytänyt langan Menitan alelaarista (2 euroa/kerä) ja lanka riitti juuri myssyyn. Joiltain ympärilläolijoilta tuli kommentteja, että mahdankohan nyt olla vähän liian negatiivinen kun neulon talviasustetta keskellä kesää. Mutta niin vain (kuten kuvastakin näkee) tämä pipo oli erittäin paljon tarpeen heinäkuisella purjehdusreissulla. (kuten kaikki tietävät, kesä tuli sitten elo- ja syyskuussa, mistä nautin kovasti!) Viime päivinä on taas aamupakkasilla saanut vetää tämän myssyn päähän ennen kuin astuu ovesta kirpsakkaan syyssäähän. Ja kyllähän tämä lämmittää suloisesti ja Rowan felted tweed on ehdottomasti yksi lempilangoistani. Todella laadukas ja kaunis lanka muutenkin. 
 

3 comments:

Sigrun said...

I love this hat, cables and colour = yummy :) We had rather cold summer here in Iceland too so I understand you very well knitting yourself a hat. Summer or not, if it's cold you need one.
One question about your shoes in the last two posts (before the one with the beautiful hat), do you know if you can buy them (or some similar) online? Just curious, I love shoes like this and have not found any similar here in Iceland so I was just thinking.
Best wishes to Finland, the country I hopefully will be able to visit one day :)

A-L said...

Sigrun: you are absolutely right- need warm clothes to keep us warm.
Those shoes are by El Naturalista and I have bought them from Amazon.co.uk :-) Love them! At the time of the photo shoot, they were the only shoes I could wear without too much pain in my feet due to having ran a trail marathon just some days earlier...:-)

Sigrun said...

Is there a pattern for the hat? I forgot to ask.
And thanks for the info about the shoes, probably one has to browse Amazone.co.uk now ;-)
And thumbs up for running, I am always on my way to start but seems to be delaying it endlessly.
Have a nice weekend :-)